Voter Eligibility & Registration
Para ayuda, llame al 713-368-2201.
State law requires you to register 30 days prior to the election in which you wish to vote. Due to the Help America Vote Act, enacted in September 2003, applicants must now provide a form of identification when registering by mail. An applicant’s spouse, parent, or child (acting as an agent) may complete and sign a Voter Registration Application, provided that the agent is a registered voter, or has applied for voter registration.
You may register to vote if you:
- Are a resident of Harris County, and
- Are at least 17 years, 10 months of age (to vote, you must be 18), and
- Are a United States citizen, and
- Have not been declared totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction, and
- Are not finally convicted of a felony, or have satisfied the court's requirements after a felony conviction, or have received a pardon.
For more information, visit the Harris County Voter Registration Department.
Register to Vote
Voter Registration Applications are used for new applicants, canceled registrants, and for changes to a registered voter’s record. Voter registration information may be verified on this site under the voter registration database.
Voter Registration Applications may be obtained several ways:
- You may download an application, which you may complete and mail to the Harris County Tax Office. This document requires Adobe Acrobat reader to open it. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat reader, you can download it free from the Adobe website.
Download an application in Spanish.
Download an application in Vietnamese.
Request an application online from the Secretary of State's website.
To register to vote in Harris County, send completed voter registration applications to:
Tax Assessor-Collector and Voter Registrar
P.O. Box 3527
Houston, TX 77253-3527
- Call the Voter Registration Department at 713-368-VOTE (8683) to request an application by mail.
- Visit any of the 16 area Tax Offices in person to register to vote.
- Visit any of the state agencies listed below, which are designated as voter registration sites per Texas Election Code, Section 20.001, to register to vote:
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services
Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services
Texas Department of State Health Services
Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Each public library
Each marriage license office of the county clerk